How fitting is it to talk about Dandelion right at the beginning of the New Year and the New Moon in Capricorn/Eihwaz. Dandelion’s reputation as a Spring detox herb is well known. The plant is edible, highly nutritious & medicinal. Almost all parts can be used.
Let’s analyze it from a mind-body-spirit perspective:
- THE ROOTS (which are usually harvested during the Fall) are connected to the Underworld. Roots are perfect for going to the root cause of things whether these are chronic health issues or destructive psycho-emotional issues (which tend to repeat themselves). The Underworldly root connects us with the womb of the Dark Mother where deep healing & transformation can occur if we allow things to unfold, no matter how unpleasant. The bitter taste of this shamanic medicine (and plant) is perfect for the undoing of patterns, the removal of toxins within & without. Because what affects the organs affects the emotions, which then show on the skin, which then find its way to the psyche (the order doesn’t matter)…etc. It becomes a vicious cycle which weakens your physical energy and depletes your life force & your spirit (which also has other consequences). The Dark Goddess’ Medicine is the most potent there is. Trust her in taking the lead in your healing process, she will show you the way back toward wholeness and you will reemerge renewed.
- THE LEAVES (usually collected in the Spring, as they are some of the first Spring greens to pop on the ground) are edible, nutritious & blood purifying. They detoxify the liver and attune with the energy of the season. The name Dandelion (Dent de Lion in French,
- THE STEM, the backbone of the plant, elevates the energy from the ground to the sky.
- THE FLOWER is solar in essence, and full of leonine energy. Yellow being the color of the bile, we are being reminded of the plant’s affinity with the liver. But this bright little Sun is governed by the sign of Leo, which is connected to the heart (in TCM, and in my own experience, a toxic liver will affect the heart). This heart-gladdening flower is the result of the transmutation of the toxins (physical, psycho-emotional, spiritual), the lead, into gold. The inner work with the Dark Goddess is over, we can now return to the outer world & we are greeted by the Sun.
- Then come THE SEEDS, which hold within them so much potential. They are thought forms, wishes, hopes & dreams, and connect us with the Higher Realms. The Great Work is over: we have connected the above with the below, elevated ourselves & we have refined our body & our spirit. We are now born anew. This is the Alchemy of Eihwaz.